Enable all managers to adopt the Bunzl values in everything they do in their role
Over the past 12 years Bunzl has spent an average of £127m per annum on acquisitions, completing over 50 transactions in this period. One of the challenges that arise from this acquisition strategy is ensuring that the Bunzl values are adopted by all new OPCOs.
Bunzl needed to see a measurable return on their investment in the programme. The most significant outcome has been seen through the projects that have been successfully completed. A very conservative estimate puts the savings from this programme at over £2,000,000 during the 10 years. Acquisition growth has been well supported by this programme helping to develop over 500 managers.
Bunzl is a leading specialist distribution company supplying non-food consumable products. Acquisitions are a key element in the growth strategy of Bunzl plc and have been instrumental in achieving FTSE 100 status.
One of the challenges that arise from this acquisition strategy is ensuring that the Bunzl values are adopted by all new OPCOs.
GBS was first asked to create a management development programme that reflected this need.
There have been over 40 cohorts totalling over 500 managers who have participated on the programme over a 12 year period.
As Bunzl has expanded there is also a need to identify new talent and this programme is the platform for such individuals’ development.
Engagement & Design
A modular structure of learning was designed so that participants are able to apply their learning throughout. Seven modules of two or three days duration were developed with planned delivery six to eight weeks apart to allow time for reinforcement of the learning and also for pragmatic operational reasons.
A unique element of the programme includes a project-based assignment undertaken by each participant and sponsored by a Director so that a real business need is addressed. At the end of the final module all participants present the results of their projects to the Executive Team and other Directors of the OPCOs.
As the programme rolls out we adopt a continuous process of enhancement which identifies local issues and challenges, and enables staff to have a direct input into designing meaningful case studies and scenarios for the changing business demands. The Bunzl Values are integrated and referenced throughout the programme
We deliver seven modules each of two or three days tailored to meet the particular challenges of individual sites and roles.
1. Foundation; the Bunzl values, its constituents, stakeholders and performance parameters
2. Project management tools and techniques
3. Leadership I leadership styles and coaching
4. Leadership II facilitating group problem solving, delegation and empowerment
5. Financial management and budgetary control
6. Performance management
7. Personal effectiveness; recruitment, time management and final project presentations
The modules were highly interactive, using techniques such as
• brainstorming to generate ideas, involvement and energy
• self-facilitated learning groups to develop participants’ confidence to present their projects to the Exec team
• pre-work assignments and questionnaires to engage all participants prior to each module
• specially designed case studies to add realism, practicality and relevance
• skills practice in small groups to give participants a ‘safe’ opportunity to develop and practise dealing with realistic situations, and to receive feedback to boost learning
• project management techniques to support individuals in their real life project
• action learning logs to record their personal commitments
As a low margin, high throughput, distribution company, Bunzl needed to see a measurable return on their investment in the programme. The most significant outcome has been seen through the projects that have been successfully completed over the 10 year period.
A very conservative estimate puts the savings from this programme at over £2 million across the 12 years.
Additionally the acquisition growth has been well supported by this programme as it has helped develop over 500 managers so that the Executive team is confident that the Bunzl values are being upheld.