The Situational Leadership® Model is arguably the most recognised, utilised and effective leadership and influence tool in the history of the behavioural sciences. Dr Paul Hersey’s task-specific, original Situational Leadership® Model is based on the relationship between leaders and followers and serves as a framework to analyse each situation based on the:
- amount of guidance and direction (task behaviour) a leader gives
- amount of socio-emotional support (relationship behaviour) a leader provides
- readiness level that followers exhibit in performing a specific task, function, or objective
Deployed in more than 70% of Fortune 500 companies, Situational Leadership® equips leaders in your organisation with the tools necessary to skilfully navigate the demands of an increasingly diverse workforce and evolving global marketplace. Infinitely adaptable to any circumstance, the model prepares leaders to address the most pressing challenges pervasive in today’s work environment.
To be successful in today’s work environment, a leader must learn to appropriately balance his/her task direction with the proper relationship behaviour, leading to high levels of consistent performance across team members.
Situational Leadership®: Building Leaders provides leaders with an action-oriented framework that increases both the quantity and quality of performance conversations by matching an individual’s Performance Readiness® Level for a specific task with the appropriate leadership style. This task-specificity is at the heart of Situational Leadership® and is paramount to ensuring that your organisation is comprised of capable situational leaders who drive behaviour change.
Situational Leadership® - Building Leaders
Situational Leadership®-Building Leaders is now available in three different modalities to offer maximum flexibility in the delivery of the learning.
Who is it for?
Situational Leadership® equips leaders with the tools necessary to influence the performance of others through the practical application of the Situational Leadership® model. Participants learn to effectively manage any situation by immediately prioritising broad actions into specific tasks, and utilising the tools that indicate each individual’s ability to perform.
An extra third day enables trainers to become accredited to deliver the programme.
What are the benefits of attending?
By the end of this course you will be able to
- Define leadership
- Apply Situational Leadership® by
- Identifying the specific task for application of the Situational Leadership® process
- Accurately assess the Performance Readiness® level of the individual
- Respond with the appropriate leadership style and behaviours to meet the performance needs of the individual
- Communicate the leadership response more effectively
- Manage the movement of the individual through various levels of Performance Readiness®
- Identify opportunities to improve the application of Situational Leadership® through self-assessment and development planning
- Exploration of the Situational Leadership® model
- Defining leadership styles
- Influencing the performance of others
- Diagnosing performance readiness®
- Matching the leadership response
- The significance of your primary style
- Style adaptability
- Feedback on your LEAD profile
- The development and regression cycles
- Action plan
The duration of this course is two days. See dates and prices for our open courses here.
Situational Leadership®: Building Leaders Accreditation
For those clients who want to become accredited as a licensed organisation we offer this three day course.
Accreditation is awarded to an organisation’s internal trainer who attends the Situational Leadership® course and then successfully completes a ‘teach-back’ third day. This qualification is achieved through a demonstration of knowledge and skills by delivering a section of the course.
Individuals will attend one of our public courses (see dates and prices here) or, if there are more than three internal trainers, clients can choose the in-house option.
Situational Leadership®: Taking Charge
- Explain how the Situational Leadership® Model works and can be used to communicate the performance needs for an individual
- Communicate your Performance Readiness® for specific tasks to solicit leader responses
- Identify measures of success versus engagement
Strengths of Situational Leadership®
- Situational Leadership® is a very well researched and practical model. It provides a framework that will allow people to know precisely how and when to deliver the behaviours required to demonstrate successful and effective team leadership with a common language and an easy-to-understand approach
- Situational Leadership® has evolved from a control leadership form to an influencing model which can be used by anyone who needs to influence others
- Situational Leadership® can be described as packaged common sense. Once learnt the model can be quickly applied. The model is not intellectually challenging but it can be behaviourally challenging
- Situational Leadership® focuses on the here and now reality of delivered performance not aspirational performance. So your organisational effectiveness can be improved through the application of the model
- Situational Leadership® and behavioural coaching have been proven to help increase performance in controlled experiments. This means organisational effectiveness can be improved through identifying key targets on the training and then receiving coaching post training
- Situational Leadership® also gives guidance on how to manage change, dependent upon the readiness of individuals and groups to implement the planned change.
- Situational Leadership® training courses excites people and is popular across the board at all levels
- Situational Leadership® is linked very closely to Malcolm Knowles’s adult learning model
This App is currently available to licensed customers using iPhone®, iPad®, and Google Android® devices, iSitLead® is the sustainability application for Situational Leadership®.
Designed to take learning outside of the classroom, iSitLead® supports your leaders by serving as a centralised location for all Situational Leadership® learning resources (e.g. podcasts, videos, etc.). Stressing accessibility and convenience, iSitLead utilises a dynamic library of leadership tools to ensure your managers are prepared for every opportunity to influence others.
Copyright, Accreditation and Licensing
Situational Leadership® is a copyrighted and trademarked training programme. The concepts around Situational Leadership® are protected under standard copyright laws. In order to offer training in-house an organisation must sign a licence agreement with GBS Situational Solutions.
Accreditation is awarded to an organisation’s trainer(s) who successfully completes a programme designed to equip them with the necessary skills and knowledge to deliver Situational Leadership® training. It allows the trainer to deliver licensed Situational Leadership® training within their organisation. This training is supported by the necessary materials, including a Licensed Administration Resource Kit (see below), participant workbooks, questionnaires and ancillary items.
A license must be purchased by an organisation wishing to have their accredited trainers deliver Situational Leadership® training in-house and is only valid for this organisation.
"I have assimilated a clearer picture on what and more importantly what not to do. Good reflective learning process for me and an excellent addition to my management toolbox."
"Really brilliant course. Both interesting and practical. Easily understandable for complex information. Lots of clear take-aways and actions."
The trainer set a great pace and made this a memorable course which I thoroughly enjoyed.
"Better understanding of the requirements of being a good manager – particularly understanding how and why people behave in particular ways and how to use this to the benefit of the team or organisation."
"I have gained a wider understanding of how training basics can be applied in everyday world. I enjoyed listening to everyone’s presentations as you pick up different techniques."
"This course has been the best thing that has happened to me. The whole content of this training was amazing, clear straight to the point. This training helped me to understand different personalities and how to deal with all the challenges that might be presented to me."
"I gained confidence in communicating and dealing with conflicts, difficult areas and more senior managers. The role plays enabled us to put theory into practice."